On the first weekend of November, I attended a Christmas craft fair in Halifax… it got me to thinking about just how early the “holidays” can really start. Although I enjoyed looking at the festive goodies at the fair, I just couldn’t bring myself to buy any gifts for this year, yet. It felt too early. But how early is too early? I know lots of people who begin Christmas gift shopping long before the first weekend of November.
Generally, as a rule, I’ve always thought you shouldn’t start decorating until after Remembrance Day. But, some people start immediately after Halloween. When I visited the grocery store on Halloween DAY, there was all the bright and shiny holiday wrapping paper and decorations; they had completely taken over the seasonal section already!
Let’s look at a timeline of the festive activities in Halifax, to give us an idea of when, officially, the “holidays” begin in HRM.
- November 4-6: Christmas at the Forum
- November 11-13: Christmas Crafts Village (Exhibition Park)
- November 18-20: NSDCC Designer Craft Show (Alderney Landing)
- November 19: The 16th Annual Chronicle Herald Holiday Parade of Lights
- November 25-27: Dalplex Christmas Craft Market
- November 25-26: Festival of Trees (Mental Health fundraiser)
- November 26: HRM Christmas Tree Lighting
- Dec 7-18: Alderney Landing Dinner Theatre Christmas Shows
Of course there are tons more holiday activities going on in HRM this season. It looks to me like it really starts to pick up around November 19th, the same weekend as the Parade of Lights. I think this is a reasonable time. Notice the tree lighting isn’t until the 26th. About a month away from Christmas I usually start to feel the pressure to shop!